When putting together fantasy DST rankings, you’re not always looking for the “best” NFL defense. The 49ers are an elite defense and top my ranks, but that is more the product of their opponent and projected game script. Don’t be afraid to be bold when filling out your fantasy football roster, DST production is a game full of variance.
Looking to make a trade in your fantasy league? Having trouble deciding who to start and who to sit? Check out PFN’s Free Fantasy Football Trade Analyzer and Start/Sit Optimizer to help you make the right decision!
Which DST Should You Start in Fantasy Football?
1) San Francisco 49ers | SF, @ LAR
2) New Orleans Saints | NO, @ CAR
3) Philadelphia Eagles | PHI, vs. MIN
4) New York Giants | NYG, @ ARI
5) Baltimore Ravens | BAL, @ CIN
6) Buffalo Bills | BUF, vs. LV
7) Washington Commanders | WAS, @ DEN
8) Dallas Cowboys | DAL, vs. NYJ
9) Denver Broncos | DEN, vs. WAS
10) Seattle Seahawks | SEA, @ DET
11) Miami Dolphins | MIA, @ NE
12) Pittsburgh Steelers | PIT, vs. CLE
13) Jacksonville Jaguars | JAX, vs. KC
14) Cincinnati Bengals | CIN, vs. BAL
15) New York Jets | NYJ, @ DAL
16) Cleveland Browns | CLE, @ PIT
17) Green Bay Packers | GB, @ ATL
18) Minnesota Vikings | MIN, @ PHI
19) Atlanta Falcons | ATL, vs. GB
20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers | TB, vs. CHI
21) Carolina Panthers | CAR, vs. NO
22) Chicago Bears | CHI, @ TB
23) Kansas City Chiefs | KC, @ JAX
24) New England Patriots | NE, vs. MIA
25) Detroit Lions | DET, vs. SEA
26) Los Angeles Chargers | LAC, @ TEN
27) Las Vegas Raiders | LV, @ BUF
28) Los Angeles Rams | LAR, vs. SF
The Top DSTs To Start in Week 2
San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams
The 49ers were downright dominant in their season-opening win over the Steelers, and they should have similar success in this spot against the Cooper Kupp-less Rams. As the unquestioned top D/ST in our PFN consensus rankings, this is a “don’t overthink it” spot.
What has me considering paying up in DFS formats for the top D/ST on the board has nothing to do with the Niners. The Rams showed no ability to be efficient on the ground in Week 1, something that, along with a 7.5-point spread, tells me that they are likely to be dropping back to pass for the majority of the afternoon.
Gold. With a statute quarterback and no alpha pass catcher active, the Rams are a perfect target for any defense … they just happen to be playing arguably the best unit in the game.
Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Jets
No, the D/ST touchdowns from Week 1 for the Cowboys aren’t likely to happen again, but good things tend to happen when you create pressure the way Micah Parsons is capable of doing.
— Sunday Night Football on NBC (@SNFonNBC) September 11, 2023
Add in a big spread with Zach Wilson under center, and this defense should have a field day. The only worry I have in elevating the Cowboys higher in my ranks is the talent in this New York backfield. There’s a world in which Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook help the Jets melt the clock and limit the fantasy production of this defense.
Listen to the PFN Fantasy Podcast
Listen to the PFN Fantasy Podcast! Click the embedded player below to listen, or you can find the PFN Fantasy Podcast on iTunes, Spotify, and all major podcast platforms. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review! Rather watch instead? Check out the PFN Fantasy Podcast on our Fantasy YouTube channel.